Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Antiquing we will go

On Sunday we ventured to the St. Lawrence antique market. I had never been and it seemed like a good way to break up the weekend (between house work, rad covers, and not-so-exciting-running-around). At the very least it offers an eclectic mix of...stuff.  And people. For anyone going - please don't wear a backpack. It's busy. And the booths are small. And for whatever reason, the sellers seem to place breakables right at the edge of the tables. Needless to say, we heard a few crashes (we can happily say we weren't responsible for any!).

There were really only a few things that held my interest, but I did take some photos of the random stuff that is on display.
A collection of copper items (don't remember how the cigars fit into the picture)

Breakables.  This was some of the nicer crystal, other sellers had assorted dishes and some older patterned Pyrex.

Cuff links galore (a lot with monograms...what are the chances of finding a matching monogram?)

I was surprised that we didn't see more furniture. I think because the sellers have very limited space they primarily stick to things that are easy to sell cash and carry. I'm looking forward to frequenting some antique fairs in the summer (any suggestions?), and to revisiting the strip at Queen W and Roncesvalles.

One seller had some great black and white prints / photos of Toronto from the 20's. I loved the ones with buildings that are still landmarks in the city, like the clock tower near city hall at the end of Bay St., and St. Lawrence market itself. I didn't buy one, but they might be my main reason to return.

Fear not - I did not leave empty handed! I picked up 3 brass urns. Not quite sure what I'll do with them yet, whether I will leave them empty or put a plant/succulent in one of them to liven them up. I'll have to clean them up a bit but for now they have a new home in our entryway.



7 comments:

emily said...

Those urns are great! I keep telling my husband "brass is back!"

InteriorGroupie said...

haha I may have said those same three words at the market on sunday...

Gabriella said...

Shopping for antiques is the best! Love the copper collection!

Ann said...

Oh that looks like so much fun,
I know I would enjoy going through those lovely items:)

Kerry said...

It's been quite a while since I've been to the St. Lawrence market... but I'm so ready to go back. I'm also hoping I can get B to hit up some of the stores at Queen W & Roncesvalles on Saturday... we've never actually stopped into any of those stores and I'd love to! I'm also hoping to get to the Christie Antique Show this year... it's huge, and we were busy both weekends it was on last year...

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

My parents bought furniture from the St Lawrence Antique market back in the day but I guess things have changed. Do you ever stroll along Queen St East around Leslieville? I used to go there when I lived in The Beaches and we always found great "antique" stuff. It's a lot more commercial now but still fun and some great restaurants as well

S said...

Love these urns. i just posted my purchase of 3 copper urns that I bought from one of the Antique market and one of them from Pottery Barn. Copper stuff are sooo in!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...