Monday, February 7, 2011

Dreamy drawers

As ecstatic as we are with our closet project, I soon realized that while gaining valuable closet space, we were losing a lot of drawer space.  We used to have a 6-drawer dresser (ugly as it was) that housed a lot of drawer items (socks, underwear, jogging pants, workout clothes, etc.). With the new closet, we each had 2 drawers that were each half the size of one of our previous drawers.

I looked for drawer dividers, but wasn't keen on spending upwards of $40 per divider for wooden dividers. I mean really, who is ever going to see them?  There were also white plastic ones for $20 or so, but they weren't all that nice.

So, I got crafty with the most basic supplies available:
I measured the cardboard for the length of the drawers and had some extra shelf-lining paper from a dresser proejct, which I used to cover the cardboard.
The cardboard I used (from a packing box) is sturdy enough to stand up in the drawer, especially when supported by drawer items. I then inserted the "divider" in my drawer, et voila! no more mixed up socks and tights! 
I made them for each drawer, and although an incredibly simple solution, they really make life in 2 drawers easier. Total cost...hmm I don't know, $0.07?  Total time - for all 4 - about 1/2 hour.

2 comments:

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Oh my goodness, you've been busy! I love the new closet and the dividers are very clever. I also hate spending loads of money on something so simple. I'll be copying you. xo Carol

designchic said...

Great idea...thrilled to find and follow your wonderful blog!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...