Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Weekend getaway

Hello all! How was your long weekend? Mine was fabulous...the Mr. and I spent the weekend here:
Chicago!

After a two hour flight delay I got there Friday evening (better late on the same day, than delayed to the next day! I've been to Chicago three times and each time has had flight delays - both O'Hare and Midway!).  Friday we wandered around and found the lovely Mastro's Steakhouse for dinner. Huge steaks (which thankfully they were amenable to letting us share), and old steakhouse charm. Very good start to our weekend. Saturday we got up and did an architectural boat tour in the morning, and then did some shopping. I picked up these knobs from Anthro after the Mr. spotted them in a basket:
Saturday night we went to Sable Kitchen & Bar in the River North area for dinner - delicious! We had had a huge lunch so were happy to be at a place that specialized in small plates for dinner. That said we had a few fancy cocktails and amazing comfort food - one of the stand outs was fried chicken with waffles. Yes, you heard that right, and it was the most amazing waffle I've ever had! haha We also had bacon-wrapped dates, graham crusted calamari, and fried green tomatoes. I initially heard of Sable from GOOP, and then checked out the reviews online and decided it was a must do. If you're in Chicago give it a shot:

Sable - via
Sunday we went and visited "the bean" and wandered some more, enjoying the beautiful weather. Let me indulge in some additional photos from our boat tour (sorry I was a bad blogger on the weekend - no photos of food or anything home-y...just of buildings!).
Navy Pier (view from our hotel)

 Chevron-esque corners on the building


Our hotel - Swissotel Chicago







8 comments:

Kerry said...

B and I keep talking about going to Chicago... but it'll be a little while now before we finally make it haha. We'd like to take Halle when she's a bit older and go to a game at Wrigley!

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. B's sister was in town with her bf, so we brought them to the Mill Street for lunch on Saturday and spent Sunday at my parents by the pool and eating lots! :)

Lonely Wife Project said...

Looks familiar ;) How great was the boat tour!! My favorite way to see the city. And now I'm wishing I went to Sable Kitchen! So glad you had fun!

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

Looks like a great trip! I haven't been to Chicago since college, but seeing these pictures makes me want to go there immediately!

Carol-Anne said...

Looks like fun! How fun to have a little get-away!

Julie said...

After seeing yours and a few other bloggers pictures from recent Chicago trips, I think I need to take a trip there. Great food, beautiful architecture...Sounds like an awesome weekend!

Lindsay [rookie's nest] said...

Chicago is another U.S. city I'd LOVE to visit. I also bought less than I thought I would in Manhattan, but everything I did get I was completely satisfied with. My wallet was also thankful, as I put my unused U.S. cash back into the bank - a rare moment! HA. Great photos, they really make me want to go! x

christine, just bella said...

Looks like such a beautiful city, I'd love to go one day!

Anonymous said...

looks and sounds like fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...