Monday, January 2, 2012

DIY Doormat

I embarked on a little DIY project over the holidays and I am so happy with the final result, I could barely wait to share it, but I think it's a perfect way to "welcome" 2012.

You all probably remember our porch project where we painted and refinished the porch columns, walls, and floor. In that process we threw out our disgusting outdoor mat (I won't even say welcome mat) which was way too big for the porch and not that useful (and disgusting).

I couldn't find a welcome mat that I liked, so I decided to make one myself. Now, let's start by saying that  I am great friends with spray paint. It's never let me down in a crunch! So, I grabbed some spray paint, a Trampa door mat, and some frog tape and off I went. Here's the end result:

And here's how I did it:

First, decide what design you want. I played around in PowerPoint and came up with these options:
It was fun to play around, and to be honest until I started taping it out on the mat I hadn't decided on a final option. Anyways, once you have some options that you're happy with you can get going on the mat.

For the "K" monogram, I made a template in Word and printed out the letter.

I then traced it onto bristle board and cut it out with a utility blade.

From there, you choose a design and tape it out. I thought that it would be easier to keep things simple since I wasn't sure how sharp the edges would be with the spray paint.

And then the fun part - get painting!

Remove the stencil, and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.



Some of the edges aren't perfect so be it. I tried to spray as much as I could directly from above, but some paint still snuck under the stencil and the tape (it was -5 outside, so the tape wasn't sticking perfectly). If you are going to do this it may help to use some spray adhesive on the back of the stencil.

Happy spraying! 






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!! This turned out so lovely Heather. Happy New Years!!! You've been such a support and encouragement to me this past year and I wish you all the best in the new year! Cheers!

Kerry said...

Looks fantastic Heather! Great project to welcome the New Year! :)

Johanna said...

Nice DIY - I love it! And everyone has a door mat like that. You've inspired me - done!

Beatrice@craftybeeblog.com said...

Happy New Year, Heather! Love the mat. It is the perfect project to start the new year. Can't wait to see more.

Sarah @ { rad: renovations are dirty } said...

I think it turned out lovely. :)

emily said...

It looks great! And I can't believe you did it outside when it was so cold! :)

travelkate said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :) I love this project...such a great way to personalize your welcome mat and make it completely unique!

lisaroy said...

Love this idea! :)

Katie said...

I love this! Great little project- I may have to try it out myself! :)
Your blog is adorable, cant wait to read more!

Welcome Mats said...

Interesting post! A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing a portion of your preferred plans. In case you're keen on other solid approaches to get fit I would suggest Welcome branded door mats. Truth be told, offers some great discount yoga mats through their site. These are amazing mats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...